Congratulations to all of the teams that participated in the 5th Annual Oyster Cook-off. You all helped to make the event the best EVER!
GRAND PRIZE BEST OVERALL
1. HAPPY HARBOR
1. EAT! RESTAURANT
1. GULF ISLAND GRILL
2. TEXAS 1 SPICE
3. BAUMHAUER’S RESTAURANT & COMPLEAT ANGLER
1. BIG FISH RESTAURANT
2. ORIGINAL OYSTER HOUSE
3. HAPPY HARBOR
1. HAPPY HARBOR
2. WESTON HUNTSVILLE
3. TEXAS 1 SPICE
1. RYAN HEFLIN-FOUR BROTHERS CATERING
2. ANDREW WILLIAMS
3. KEVIN COMBS
1. BIG FISH RESTAURANT
Celebrate your love for oysters at The Hangout's 5th Annual Oyster Cook-off presented by Alabama Gulf Seafood.
The event is free to the public and tasting tickets will be sold at the event for $2 each or $30 for a book of 20 tickets.
Enjoy live music by national recording artists, football on the big screen, friends and family, and of course delicious Oysters prepared by 40+ of the best restaurants in the region!
Friday, November 2, 2012
Oyster Cook-off Pre-party
7:30pm Opening Act Brooks Hubbard
9:30pm Soul Rebels
11:00pm Late Night 21+ Brooks Hubbard
Saturday, November 3, 2012
5th Annual Oyster Cook-off
11:00am Doors Open
11-12:30pm Cooking and Judging for 1st category: Rockefeller
11:30-1pm Live Music by The Banditos
12:00pm Shucking Competition Begins
12:30-2pm Cooking and Judging for 2nd category: Cajun
1:00pm Shucking Competition Heat 2
1:30-3pm Live Music by L.F. Knighton
2:00pm Shucking Competition Heat 3
2:30-4pm Cooking and Judging for 3rd category: Create-your-own Raw
3:15pm Shucking Championship Finals
3:45-5:30pm Live Music by The Soul Rebels
4:00pm Open Cook
5:30pm Awards Ceremony
6:00-9:30pm AL vs. LSU game
9:30-2am 21+ Late Night with Live Music
(*all times are approximate)
Food Network Star Finalists Including:
Regional Chefs Including:
Gulf Coast Teams Including:
The following are the contest rules, prize breakdown and entry details of the Cook-Off.
1. All contestants are responsible for their own grills, charcoal, cooking utensils, ingredients and presentation dishes for the public, including the delivery dish to the judge. A minimum of 12 dozen oysters per category must be presented. In addition to all cooking utensils, table, table cloth and coolers are needed to participate.
2. The Hangout will supply all oysters for the competition.
3. Contestants will be required to shuck their own oysters for the competition. Each team is required to provide their shucking knife and use a shucking glove.
4. The Hangout will provide all napkins, plates and eating utensils for the public. One 6ft table, a 10x10 tent and a trash receptacle will be furnished for each team
5. Official start time for the event is 11am, November 3rd, 2012.
6. All teams are required to be on site by 9am, teams are required to be set up and “ready to serve” by 10am on November 3rd.
7. Participants are required to supply 1 dozen prepared oysters from each category for the judging panel. Each participant will be required to cook a minimum of twelve (12) dozen of each category for public tasting. Depending on the number of participating teams and the amount of people attending, the number of prepared oysters can fluctuate at the discretion of The Hangout.
8. All contestants are to be in compliance of all health department regulations. The Hangout will provide ice. Teams must provide the correct storage and storage containers for the oysters including preparatory items.
9. Each team will display “a consumption of raw seafood” notice at their table. These will be supplied by The Hangout
10. Official judging will be the sole responsibility of the judging panel. All judging is final. Judging will be conducted by a blind taste test for each category.
11. There will be no outside beverages brought into the Hangout. The Hangout will provide each team a $50 gift card. Any team serving alcohol to guests will be removed from the event with out refund.
12. In the event of inclement weather, the oyster cook off will be cancelled. If cancellation occurs then all entry fees will be refunded to the teams.
13. Teams are encouraged to decorate their tents.
JUDGING WILL BE BASED ON THE FOLLOWING POINT SYSTEM
OYSTER CATEGORIES TO BE JUDGED
The team with the most points per each category will be declared the category winner. The team with the most points overall from all three categories will be declared the Champion.
Winner will be decided by the general public. The public can purchase tickets and sample each team’s oysters. The team which collects the most tickets, in the allotted time will be the People’s Choice Champion.
**It is at the organizer’s discretion if more oysters will be required for the public’s sampling. Rules are subject to change at any time.
Participants in the 2012 Oyster Cook-Off who register prior to or on September 28, 2012 will have an entry fee of $250. After September 28, the entry fee will be $300. Deadline to register and pay entry fee in full is October 19th, 2012. Entry fee will cover all the supplies as described above. Further, each team will receive four Oyster Cook-Off event t-shirts and the opportunity to purchase additional t-shirts at a discounted rate. Teams should submit a logo (if applicable) for inclusion in promotions and event materials.